Combine two of the fastest-growing fields on the planet with a culture of performance, collaboration and opportunity and this is what you get. Leading edge technology in an industry that's improving the lives of millions. Here, innovation isn't about another gadget, it's about making health care data available wherever and whenever people need it, safely and reliably. There's no room for error. Join us and start doing your life's best work.(sm) As a part of Optum Health,
Optum Care is seeking a VP, Actuarial Services. The Vice President, Actuarial Services, will provide vision, strategic direction and oversight of actuarial functions supporting Optum Care. The scope of duties will include but not be limited to medical expense analysis, reserving, forecasting, medical expense benchmarking, revenue projection, and profitability monitoring. This role consults and collaborates with the local care delivery businesses and senior management regarding financial results and trend analytics. This position will be key in helping the business meet financial objectives by identifying and quantifying risks and drivers of results and providing recommendations to mitigate issues uncovered. Given the complex nature of Optum, the ability to achieve these goals through a combination of direct and indirect influence will be critical. This position will work closely with and report to the Optum Chief Actuary.
You'll enjoy the flexibility to telecommute from anywhere within the U.S. as you take on some tough challenges. Primary Responsibilities:
- Lead and manage team of 8 directs and 50+ indirects, actuaries and actuarial students of varying levels
- Estimate reserves and communicate monthly results and drivers of variance from budget/forecast to senior leadership
- Manage activities of research, medical data collection and analysis, and trend analytics to uncover drivers of results
- Present findings in clear, compelling manner to senior leadership to provide information needed for optimal decision-making
- Measure and project savings for new and existing affordability initiatives and recommend new initiatives to Optum Care leadership
- Quantify impact of laws, regulations, benefit changes, etc.
- Prepare and provide supporting documentation for Optum Care actuarial liabilities included in the company's financial statements
- Project medical expense for forecasting purposes and monitor variance to budget
- Develop solid teams, create solid morale and spirit; foster open dialogue; define success in terms of the whole team
- Serve as resource to senior and executive management
- Communicate results, findings, and recommendations to the organization through multiple layers of management and senior level professional staff
- Demonstrate understanding of applicable laws and regulations as well as the actuarial code of conduct and actuarial standards of practice
- Bring in right team, drive employee engagement and foster teamwork and collaboration
- Direct others to resolve highly complex or unusual business problems that affect major functions or disciplines
- Provide leadership to and be accountable for the performance and results through multiple layers of management and senior level professional staff
- Develop, translate, and execute strategies or functional objectives for the business segment
You'll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in. Required Qualifications:
- Bachelor's degree
- FSA (or ASA with commensurate experience)
- 15+ years of actuarial experience
- 8+ years of leadership experience in management of various levels of staff; dynamic consultative style
- Extensive knowledge of healthcare industry and trends; Medicare experience especially valuable
- Proven ability to work with people at multiple levels of the organization and multiple functions of an organization
- 15+ years direct experience with healthcare data and analytics
- Expert in actuarial concepts and industry practices
- Ability to effectively participate as a management team member as well as relate and effectively communicate with various levels of staff
- Superior conceptual, analytical, financial modeling, and problem-solving skills
- Highly effective written, oral, and persuasive communication skillsSolid interpersonal skills and ability to build relationships including at senior levels of the organization
- Openly and actively communicate information and take initiative to communicate extensively
- Excellent written, verbal, presentation, and negotiation skills
To protect the health and safety of our workforce, patients and communities we serve, UnitedHealth Group and its affiliate companies require all employees to disclose COVID-19 vaccination status prior to beginning employment. In addition, some roles and locations require full COVID-19 vaccination, including boosters, as an essential job function. UnitedHealth Group adheres to all federal, state and local COVID-19 vaccination regulations as well as all client COVID-19 vaccination requirements and will obtain the necessary information from candidates prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation. Failure to meet the vaccination requirement may result in rescission of an employment offer or termination of employment. What makes an Optum organization different?
- We understand the significance of Value Based Care and our power as change agents to positively impact health disparities and iniquities
- Optum embraces inclusion and diversity and understands the significance of individual unique strengths and attributes.
- We are influencing change on a national scale while still maintaining the culture and community of our local care organizations
Optum Care is a rapidly growing national, integrated health care organization that helps physicians and other providers deliver the right care at the right time in the right setting. We design and manage delivery systems in markets where we can achieve the Quadruple Aim - a better patient experience, higher quality care, lower costs, and a better experience for providers. With our expertise and resources, we are on the front lines transforming the health care delivery system to help improve the overall health of patients and communities.
This physician led, patient centric, and data driven business creates value by delivering and facilitating care across the full continuum through high performing networks comprised of owned, managed, and contracted physicians, advanced practitioners, and other providers. Our system impact extends across physicians, specialty care, ambulatory surgery centers, urgent care, home health, post-acute transitions, complex care in skilled nursing facilities and palliative care. Compensation/Benefits Highlights
- Competitive Base Salary
- Annual Short-Term Incentives
- Annual UHG Equity Award
- Health, Dental Vision Plans
- Deferred Compensation Plan
- 401K w/company match
- Additional benefits as outlined in Optum Leader Benefits PDF
Careers with Optum.
- Work as an integral leader within a Fortune 500 company that is changing the face of healthcare
- Remote employee option
- Career Growth and Development support
Here's the idea. We built an entire organization around one giant objective; make health care work better for everyone. So when it comes to how we use the world's large accumulation of health-related information, or guide health and lifestyle choices or manage pharmacy benefits for millions, our first goal is to leap beyond the status quo and uncover new ways to serve. Optum, part of the UnitedHealth Group family of businesses, brings together some of the greatest minds and most advanced ideas on where health care has to go in order to reach its fullest potential. For you, that means working on high performance teams against sophisticated challenges that matter. Optum, incredible ideas in one incredible company and a singular opportunity to do your life's best work.(sm)
All Telecommuters will be required to adhere to UnitedHealth Group's Telecommuter Policy. Colorado, Connecticut or Nevada Residents Only
: The Salary range for Colorado/Connecticut/Nevada residents is $174,600 to $332,200. Pay is based on several factors including but not limited to education, work experience, certifications, etc. In addition to your salary, UnitedHealth Group offers benefits such as, a comprehensive benefits package, incentive and recognition programs, equity stock purchase and 401k contribution (all benefits are subject to eligibility requirements). No matter where or when you begin a career with UnitedHealth Group, you'll find a far-reaching choice of benefits and incentives.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation..... click apply for full job details