Thermacell Repellents, Inc. (TRI) is a privately held company with a mission to liberate people who love the outdoors from the harmful effects of insects. Founded in 1999 and based outside of Boston in Bedford, MA, Thermacell makes the world's leading spatial mosquito repellent and targeted tick control solutions. Dedicated to delivering the best consumer experience, we have an ever-expanding product line for both adventure and home use. We aim to change the way people repel insects, and through disruptive innovation, strong distribution across multiple retail channels, and a global footprint, our base of users is growing rapidly.
TRI currently employs 125+ full time employees at our four locations--Bedford, MA (Corporate), Dover, NH (Sales), and Buford, GA (both manufacturing and distribution).
TRI CORE VALUES:
- Can Do Spirit - it's NEVER someone else's job.
- Absolute Integrity - the high road is the only road.
- Thrilling Our Consumers - they are the well-spring of our success, and they must be delighted with Thermacell every time they use one.
- Learn - Grow - Adapt (continuous cycle).
- Work Hard, Play Hard, Stay Humble - earn it every day.
Thermacell is seeking an experience, intellectually curious, highly analytical, and passionate Senior Manager, Consumer Research to help us continue achieving disruptive growth and household penetration of Thermacell across the world. As a Senior Manager of Market Research & Consumer Insights you will be a high-impact, highly visible 'resident expert' on what our consumers are doing, saying, and the 'why' underneath. Reporting to the CPO, you will work closely with the Product team and other departments alike to help understand product use and satisfaction drivers, and inform and assess consumer need-states, and ultimately help us develop a stronger, consumer-centric product strategy. You will skillfully create appropriate methodologies, execute primary market research, and make a meaningful difference everyday by both enabling and driving fact-based decision making across the organization.
WORKING HOURS: Typical office working hours, with flexibility.
WORK LOCATION: 26 Crosby Dr Bedford MA 01730
- Design, execute, and lead qualitative and quantitative primary market research for Thermacell: qualitative fieldwork (e.g. focus groups, longitudinal panels, in-home ethnographies, shopalongs, 1:1 interviews, etc.), and quantitative surveys. This includes vendor-led and DIY research (i.e. in-house survey design and programming, and analysis/reporting using various internal research tools and software) intended to assess existing portfolio strengths/weaknesses, identify unmet consumer needs, and inform and optimize our planned roadmap (features, pricing, etc.)
- Analyze primary survey data-from cross-tabbing to regressions-and report in storytelling format
- Work cross-functionally to marry disparate data sets (e.g. transactional data, observational digital analytics data, secondary research data, etc.), and report out to org
- Quickly connect the dots across research studies and different data sources
- Help expand our Connected data strategy and translate incoming IoT data streams into business critical dashboards with insights and business KPIs
- Influence via cross-functional partnerships, collaborations, and relationship building; Work closely with business partners to influence business strategies grounded in data and consumer insight/intelligence
- Stay abreast of sociocultural trends and macroeconomic impacts to business in order to add color to primary research and inform business strategies and long-term research pipeline
- Help to oversee the team's annual learning plan, including but not limited to: managing survey calendar, coordinating with internal partners for customer sample targeting, managing external research vendors, QC of survey programs, coordinating and overseeing qualitative fieldwork logistics
- Manage an annual research budget
Required SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- 5+ years of directly relevant experience (e.g. conducting market research, consumer insights for CPG manufacturer, retailer, agency-side)
- General exposure to or understanding of Retail, CPG, and/or Electronics/Appliances industries-including marketing development timelines and product development/innovation pipelines-ideally related business experience in marketing, communications, business development, product design, user experience, brand management, consulting, and/or analytics
- Expertise in quantitative and qualitative research methods-including data analyses, statistical analyses (e.g. regression analysis), more complicated survey methods, cross-tabbing, sample design, fieldwork management
- Ability to think both analytically and creatively-balance left and right brain-people person as well as data person
- Excellent communication and storytelling abilities with proven track record of influencing business decisions/strategies
- Skilled at translating customer requirements from internal partners and translating into robust research plans and driving them to completion with strong communication and follow-up
- Confidence in designing and managing your own projects with oversight only as necessary
- Additional software/platform competencies: statistical package (e.g. SPSS, R, STATA, etc.), survey programming (e.g. Qualtrics, etc.), and ideally SAS
IDEAL CANDIDATE PROFILE
- Hands-on and eager to roll up sleeves themselves to get things done
- Discipline for data-driven recommendations
- Displays a strong desire to win
- Demonstrates excellent leadership, organization, planning, communication, and interpersonal skills
- Experience with razor/blade or installed-based business models a plus
- Great fit with Thermacell values (Absolute Integrity, Can-Do Spirit, Thrilling Consumers, Learn-Grow-Adapt, Work Hard/Play Hard/Stay Humble).
Compensation for this position will include a competitive base salary as well as an Annual Target Bonus Plan tied to company and individual performance goals.
We are proud to offer a competitive & valuable benefits package that enables you to protect your health, your family, and your way of life. It includes vacation time at a competitive level plus 10 paid company holidays. Additionally, a company slow-down period is traditionally offered for one week in between Christmas and New Year's Day. Additionally, 5 days of sick time is available on your first day.
We also offer best in class medical & dental insurance where Thermacell pays for 80% of the premiums; and pays for the first half of your medical deductible through our Health Reimbursement Account and provides access to an FSA. Long & Short-term Disability & Group Term Life insurance (one times base salary plus bonus up to $250K) is also available at no cost to you.
Additionally, you will have access to a plethora of voluntary benefits such as vision, supplemental life, accident, and pet insurance for your furry family members. You can find all details and additional discounts in our benefits guide. You may start contributing to our 401k after completing 30 days of service and you will be eligible for the annual contribution (equal to 3% of base salary subject to the IRS legal limit) after completing your first year.
WHY WORK HERE?
Fun and casual environment (jeans, dogs and nerf guns). Disruptive fast-growth company. Thermacell is a consumer products company with a mission to liberate people who love the outdoors from the harmful effects of insects. Thermacell provides zone mosquito protection that keeps mosquitoes up to 20 ft away, stopping them before they can bother or bite you. Thermacell zone repellent technology eliminates the need for messy lotions or sprays, so you and your family are free to enjoy the outdoors, without worrying about mosquitoes or the harm they may cause.
Awards given to Thermacell include Popular Mechanics - Grand Award Winner - Recreation - Best of What's New 2018 New York Times Wirecutter - The Best Mosquito Control Gear for Your Patio or Yard Outside Magazine - Best Car Camping Gear 2018 Backpacker Magazine - Best Backpacking Accessory 2019 Field & Stream Best of the Best Award Good Housekeeping Research Institute Tabletop Mosquito Repellent, LIV Smart Mosquito Repellent System-CES TWICE Pick Awards 2022.
Thermacell products can be found at fine retailers throughout North America and in over 35 countries around the world. Examples of our retail partners include Walmart, Amazon, REI, Bass Pro Shops, Home Depot, Lowe's, Canadian Tire, Dick's Sporting Goods, Academy Sports, Target Stores, CVS, Costco, Sam's Club, Tractor Supply, Ace Hardware and Bed Bath & Beyond.