Edinburgh / Perth / Glasgow / Aberdeen
We are looking for a rural surveyor to work alongside the existing Savills professional team delivering valuation and professional consultancy services to our clients across Scotland. The successful candidate will work with a core team based in Edinburgh and Perth, but we are flexible as to location.
Our work is diverse and exciting and our surveyors are working in rapidly changing rural land markets, with dynamic and forward thinking clients. Day to day tasks will comprise rural and high value residential valuations, CPO work, landlord and tenant negotiations, tax and trust advice, and assisting with expert witness work. The successful candidate will show an interest in the valuation of natural capital, and provide strategic advice to a range of multi-faceted and complex rural business owners.
Savills culture is one of trust and respect, teamwork and collaboration. Our teams and our clients benefit when we work together, listening to and learning from each other. Above all, we value the motivation of our people. This is evidenced by our wellbeing offer, our capability to facilitate flexible working and our support to enjoy a healthy work life balance.
This team has a flexible approach so please discuss what this might look like for your role in your discussions and interview.
We are a fast paced and friendly team, the core group being made up of 2 directors, 2 ADs, 1 associate, 1 surveyor, 2 graduates and two administrators who work with predominately private clients. We work closely with colleagues in agency, forestry, energy and rural management to provide consultancy advice.
With over 80 rural professional staff working across 30 UK offices, Savills can claim one of the largest professional teams in the UK. Savills Professional Services provide advice on valuation, landlord and tenant, expert witness and CPO, covering property assets of any scale, from large country estates to small farms, country houses and other rural properties, as well as high value residential assets in the main cities. The team has a deep knowledge base and is able to provide a clearly defined long-term career structure and excellent training opportunities for the right person. Our clients include rural estates, farmers, corporate/public bodies, rural property investors and private individuals.
We are flexible as to location, though the role will be supported from Edinburgh and Perth. The Edinburgh office is a multi-disciplinary office with commercial, residential and rural teams, with Perth forming a centre of excellence for rural services providing a specialist services including rural management, forestry, energy, planning, development, building surveying and more. The Region also has specialist practitioners involved in the valuation of renewable energy projects such as wind farms, solar farms, anaerobic digestion plants and biomass schemes. In addition Savills agency and professional teams are at the forefront of the emerging natural capital markets, acting for clients across Scotland in adapting to this new market place. There will be the opportunity to be involved with both natural capital and energy work.
The Rural, Energy & Projects team and the region is very well supported by a wide knowledge base, resources and research within the national and international Savills network.
This role offers considerable opportunities for the candidate to progress their career. Savills offer unique training across a range of subjects which includes a comprehensive business management programme. There are also opportunities to be part of national committees and focus groups.
Key Responsibilities of the Role
- Working with a team valuing rural land and property, including farms, estates, residential property and other mixed use rural property assets
- Professional consultancy work, including compulsory purchase and general negotiation over property rights
- Working with clients on areas of contentious landlord and tenant work on agricultural property, including rent review and landlord/tenant buyouts
- Assisting in the delivery of expert witness reports
- Assisting the development of the professional business through networking internally and externally
- An interest in identifying and developing new business opportunities
- To help promote and deliver the firm's compliance procedures and standards
- To support team members in career development via training (to ensure high skill levels both technically & behaviourally), coaching, mentoring and the promotion and succession/talent processes
In addition to the tasks described above, the job holder may be required to carry out other duties as may reasonably be required from time to time.
Skills, Knowledge and Experience
- Member of RICS
- RICS Registered Valuer (preferred but not essential for the right candidate)
- Competent and skilled with Microsoft Office, including Excel; training will be provided in respect of internal systems
- Ability to use varied methods of valuation
- Capacity to analyse and present statistical information
- Clear written and verbal communication style
- Driving licence and own car essential
Skills and Knowledge Manage time effectively, prioritising tasks to ensure deadlines are metDelivers efficiency in addition to effectivenessDiplomatic and confident with