About the role
Booker Group has an exciting opportunity for a Junior Software Developer to join our IT Development Team based in Basingstoke. The successful candidate will be responsible for developing systems that meet the continuing needs of the Booker business.
The IT Development Team which currently consists of 3 developers, are responsible for developing and maintaining the in-house software solution (MIDAS) which includes, but not limited to, Stock Control, Customer Order Deliveries, Invoice Payments and POS (tills) across the Booker and Makro estate. This team works closely with the Booker IT Project Team to ensure that all Branch systems are effective, secure, and efficient.
You will need to be disciplined, innovative and business-focused in your approach to develop a wide variety of high-quality products and solutions. The successful candidate will be eager to learn new technologies, technically proficient and motivated in the creation and delivery of IT Solutions which include Java, SQL and COBOL platforms. Additionally, you will partner continuously with your many stakeholders to stay focused on common goals.
Technical Responsibilities: • Work as a member of the Development Team designing and writing programs. • Perform coding to technical specifications, whilst following coding standards. • Investigate, analyse and document reported defects. • Perform maintenance programming and correction of identified defects. • Create and implement unit and integration tests. • Create and maintain technical documentation. • All technical aspects of design, construction and unit testing of programs developed by the team. • During the lifecycle of programs and systems, ensure that the necessary change control procedures are followed. • Share skills and successful methods of working with other team members. • Perform related duties as assigned.
You will need
.• Knowledge of Java (including Spring/Spring Boot) & SQL. • Experience of Linux Servers and O/S.• Experience of Shell Scripting.• Ability to write Technical Documentation • Willing to grasp existing coding languages for example COBOL.• Degree in IT, Science or Maths. • Good Attention to detail. • Team Player but can work independently. • Excellent communication skills.
• Desire to learn / add value / drive progress.• Excellence in building positive relationships with team members.• Good technical trouble shooting and analytical skills.• Good technical documentation skills, reviewing & writing technical documentation.• Ability to prioritise activities.• Ability to work individually and as a team.• Good written and verbal communication skills, being able to communicate effectively and efficiently with colleagues, customers and suppliers combined with a "can-do" attitude.
Whats in it for you
At Booker, along with being a great place to work and giving you an opportunity to get on in your career, we also offer the following fantastic package of benefits:
- A Booker colleague card with 10% off purchases at Booker and double discount events up to three times a year.
- After 3 months service, a Tesco colleague discount card with 10% increasing to 15% off most purchases at Tesco for a 4 day period after every four-weekly pay day, ie. thirteen times a year. In addition to 10% off at Tesco Cafe and 20% off all F&F purchases.
- 10% off pay monthly & SIM only deals with Tesco Mobile for yourself, along with further great deals through-out the year.
- Up to 30% off car, pet and home insurance at Tesco bank. Terms and conditions apply.
- 50% off complete glasses purchases and free eye tests at Vision Express.
- 50% off health checks at Tesco Pharmacy.
- An exclusive deals and discounts website saving you money on everyday purchases including a cycle to work scheme.
- After 3 months service, you can join our annual Save As You Earn share scheme which allows you to buy Tesco shares in the future at a discount.
- Retirement savings plan (pension) - save up to 5% and Booker will match your contribution.
- Life Assurance - You are covered for death in service life cover of up to three times annual pay
- Health and Wellbeing support and resources including our 24/7, confidential Employee Assistance Programme for you and your family.
- A great holiday package
About The Company
Be part of something special. Join our team at Booker.
Booker is the UK's leading food & drink wholesaler. We are privileged to serve independent retailers, caterers and small businesses, from locations across the country.
Booker Group comprises of Booker Wholesale, Makro, Booker Direct, Classic Drinks, Ritter Courivaud and Chef Direct. Our customers include Premier, Family Shopper, Budgens and Londis retailers and we have one shared aim - improving choice, price and service for all our customers.
Our business is incredibly diverse, so it takes a wide range of skills to deliver the exceptional service our customers require.
Wherever you join us, you'll be part of an organisation that will help your career to keep moving forward.
Booker Group is part of Tesco plc, however is operated separately from the core Tesco business and as such the benefits offered will be different from those offered at Tesco